Friday, November 04, 2005

Published(!)Words

I sold a clip to ScienceNOW this week! My first published story.
ScienceNOW is Science magazine's online news source.

You can see the article under my Links, if you'd like!
-->"My First Published Piece (ScienceNOW)"

You can visit ScienceNOW's homepage, too...
--> "New Alzheimer's Target Identified" --Meagan White (Nov.4)

I wrote this piece based on interviews I'd done with neurologist Katrin Andreasson at Johns Hopkins Medical School, and with pharmacologists at Vanderbilt University. Their paper was published on November 2nd, in the Journal of Neuroscience.

Essentially, by deleting a receptor in the brain, they've identified a new target -downstream in the cyclooxygenase pathway- for Alzheimer's therapeutics... and this could lead to drugs that are much safer than NSAIDs, those typically prescribed.

According to Vanderbilt University pharmacologist Oliver Boutaud, an expert on the COX pathway, "this study is a milestone in the search for new therapeutic targets for Alzheimer's."

beautifulSCIENCE. write on...

.MGW.