Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Post-ReadingWords

On November 7th, I read several pieces of my work aloud for the Writing Seminars Department. (All grad students do this. It's fun!!)

One piece I read was about the Kalenjins- an African tribe that lives on a plateau 7,000 feet above the sea, in northwest Kenya. They make up only .0005% of the world's population, but win 40% of its top distance events.

They are "the superstars of marathon running." The long distance elite.

I explained the biology behind why. Their "runaway" success is definitely linked to genetics, and to three factors in particular: abnormally high levels of the enzyme resposible for lactate turnover and breakdown, the right genes for high altitude survival, and an overwhelming proportion of slow twitch fibers in their skeletal muscle mass.

I don't have my piece posted, nor do I have the personal account of my love o' running here (which I read aloud, too... oohhfun!). But, I do have a bit of sweet feedback- an email from a poet... A tribute to running. And to science writers.

"Hey there, great reading on Monday night. I'm so impressed with the science writers this year. Good stuff. Anyway, my Dad's friend Deneen owns the shop 5K in Fells Point, and he thinks she would probably really like to read your stuff on running... I never knew that running could be such a dance, a religion, a spirit... a life mantra! I think if everybody ran, the world would be a better place... as you made it sound. Good science. Good energy. Thanks, T"